The musty odor in a moldy basement isn’t just unpleasant; it can also lead to serious health problems. If you suspect there’s mold in your basement, you should understand the risks and the best way to eliminate them. While most mold species are not toxic, some emit particles called mycotoxins, which can affect humans who already have compromised respiratory systems.

A Moldy Basement Can Cause Serious Health Issues

Prolonged exposure to spores coming from a moldy basement can cause wheezing and coughing and exacerbate asthma. If anyone in your home is experiencing flu-like symptoms, eye irritation or shortness of breath, or has been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder), they may be an increased risk of infections caused by mold exposure.

moldy basement

People with immune-deficiency conditions or those recovering from cancer treatment may be more vulnerable to fungal infections than healthy individuals, since mold spores can also be absorbed via the skin. In addition, anyone with heart replacement valves, catheters or artificial joints may be at a higher risk of fungal infections and illness related to mold exposure. Also, be aware that the elderly and infants are especially susceptible to health issues caused by mold.

Some spores in a moldy basement might be more toxic than others – black mold, for example. Individuals exposed to black mold can develop hemosiderosis, which is a rare, but potentially fatal, condition where bleeding occurs in the lungs.

At Dry Foundation Technologies in Asheville, NC, we offer basement waterproofing systems, foundation stabilization, and crawlspace moisture control systems. We look forward to helping you prevent the damaging effects of water on your property!